134firstly apologies for the low profile but I have been plagued by a major technical issue - ie turntable not working (....hell on wheels ), so having gotten that back up and going, there's quite a backlog, both here and on From Another Side and ther'esmassive updates coming there as soon as I can get the show back on the road.
we have 4 mixes though ready today and I'll be quick with all the blurbs so you can get into it
here on the fourth of our extravaganza today we have a heap of Driscolls, some Gobs, the 2nd Dropbears single, Farmer's Boys ( for some reason on the Waap label, famous for The Higsons ), latter day Sekret Sekret, Monochrome Set and more MEO 245 with another from Rites Of Passage.
#134 - via Box
1. Lay Him Down - Dropbears ( Green Records Aust 1983 )
2. Girl I Want You Back - The Driscolls ( Restless Records 1988 )
3. This Is A Different Song - The Driscolls ( Teatime Records 1990 )
4. Fathers Name Is Dad - The Driscolls ( Woosh 1988 )
5. Part Company - The Go-Betweens ( Sire Records 1984 )
6. I Think I Need Help - The Farmer's Boys ( Waap Records 1983 )
7. Girl With A White Stick - Sekret Sekret ( Waterfront Records Aust 1984 )
8. The Monochrome Set - The Monochrome Set ( Rough Trade 1979 )
9. The Deepest - The Waltones ( Medium Cool Records 1988 )
10. Summer Girl - MEO 245 ( Mushroom Records Aust 1982 )
( duration 29.51, vbr lame mp3 )
133Starting off this one with some Melbourne luminaries usually known for their work with Equal Local / Essendon Airport / I'm Talking / Hot Half Hour - as you can no doubt here in the familiarity of the sound of Bryce Perrin's double bass.
Then we have some more post punk era singles - UK this time - The Invisible Girls of course a M.Hannett production and Weekend featuring Alison Statton - late of the Young Marble Giants - and more on both them and Weekend soon.
Then a Steve(n) Kilbey b-side - to This Asphalt Eden ( the a-side we heard recently via Red Eye reissue on #114 )....today from the original release 7". ( plus a subsequent Red Eye a-side "Fireman" ).
Also a couple of singles from The Expression's s/t debut album, some more Stephen Cummings from Senso, some Enz and our friend Matt Johnson, the 2nd of his Some Bizzare singles.
#133 - via Box
Sideroom Singles Podcast #133
1. Bap's Groove - Bryce Perrin, Chas Lisner and Ian Cox ( Real Gone Records Aust 1982 )
2. Searching For Heaven - Pauline Murray and The Invisible Girls ( Illusive 1981 )
3. Drumbeat For Baby - Weekend ( Rough Trade 1982 )
4. Spell - Steven Kilbey ( EMI Aust 1985 )
5. Fireman - Steve Kilbey ( Red Eye Records Aust 1987 )
6. My Mistake - Split Enz ( Mushroom Records Aust 1977 )
7. Perfect - The The ( UK ) ( Some Bizzare 1983 )
8. Present Communication - The Expression ( Mushroom Records Aust 1983 )
9. Decisions - The Expression ( Mushroom Records Aust 1983 )
10. Stuck On Love - Stephen Cummings ( Regular Records Aust 1983 )
( duration 36.41, vbr lame mp3 )
132More I'm Talking here, this time Zan gets the nod to go up front on Holy Word, also some Allniters, and more Scribble ( another single from Pop Art ).
The Reels song Comedy was from their Pitt St Farmers Ep but also was a b-side, where we played it from today, on the flip of the German release of the Happiness single ( we played the Aussie version of Happiness really recently on #130, the b-side there is La Mer, a track from the Beautiful album ).
We also got another song that wasn't a single in Australia, "I Don't Mind" from The Numbers, a track on their first album, but only an a-side in the UK.
And speaking of the UK that's where the Icehouse 7" of Can't Help Myself is from ( of course released in Australia as their debut single when they still travelled under the moniker of Flowers ). This version of Can't Help Myself is also different to the Oz, the single today in fact being an edited version of the "US Club Mix.....how's that for a complex trail ?
#132 - via Box
1. Holy Word - I'm Talking ( Regular Records Aust 1986 )
2. Montego Bay - Allniters ( Powderworks Aust 1983 )
3. Comedy - The Reels ( RCA 1983 )
4. I Don't Know - The Numbers ( RCA UK 1982 )
5. Don't Give Your Heart Away - Scribble ( Regular Records Aust 1986 )
6. The Beat Goes On - Globos ( White Label Records Aust 1983 )
7. Is There A Reason - The Mood ( RCA 1981 )
8. Can't Help Myself ( Club Mix One edit ) - Icehouse ( Chrysalis 1981 )
9. Hey Little Girl - Icehouse ( Regular Records Aust 1982 )
10. My Heart's On Fire - Machinations ( White Label Records Aust 1985 )
( duration 33.51, vbr lame mp3 )
131Kicking off here with one side of a Double-A from Tim Finn ( the other side is "Through The Years" ), then the first Rockmelons single, then anothery from the 'Rockies' ( sic ), some Stephen Cummings, one of several singles from his Senso LP, Hungry Town ( yeah yeah Zan's sis et al ), some Oils, Hunnas, Eurogliders, Models and I'm Talking.
Prepare your ears for a swag of 12" versions of these tracks on an upcoming From Another Side, soon as I can clear the backlog there now I am technicallly able to make stuff again
Please enjoy :)
#131 - via Box
Sideroom Singles Podcast #131
1. Staring At The Embers - Tim Finn ( Mushroom Records Aust 1983 )
2. Time Out ( For Serious Fun ) - Rockmelons ( Phantom Records Aust 1985 )
3. Rhymes - Rockmelons ( Truetone Records Aust 1987 )
4. Gymnasium - Stephen Cummings ( Regular Records Aust 1984 )
5. Hungry Town - Big Pig ( White Label Records Aust 1986 )
6. Power & The Passion - Midnight Oil ( CBS Aust 1983 )
7. Is There Anybody In There ? - Hunters & Collectors ( White Label Records Aust 1986 )
8. Heaven Must Be There - Eurogliders ( CBS Aust 1984 )
9. I Hear Motion - Models ( Mushroom Records 1983 )
10. Do You Wanna Be - I'm Talking ( Regular Records Aust 1986 )
( duration 36.36 vbr lame mp3 )